Friday, November 18, 2011

Hawkshaw Hawkins "I wanna be hugged to death by You" -1954

Whoever wrote this song, well lets say he might have been a funny guy. Into some questionable stuff for 1954.
Take the first two opening lines:

"Now some folks use a motorcar to end it all you see. While some folks jump off buildings, to reach eternity"
This came on in a record store a few years back and i couldn't believe my ears. I bought it as soon as they took it off the store turntable.
Quite a few of the songs on this LP are a bit out there considering his contemporaries and the times.
This guy stood 6 foot 5 and was really into his rhinestone suits.
Oddly enough like one of my earlier posts about Johnny Horton and celebrity freak accidents....
....On March 5th 1963, Hawkins died in a plane crash with Patsy Cline, and The Cowboy Copas.
He goes down in history as one of the greats in country music, who I feel too few know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment