Thursday, November 17, 2011

George Jones & Tammy Wynette "Just Someone I Used to Know" - 1971

What a gem. I would say this is possibly one of the best, if not the best moments in country music. One of those duets that is larger than life. The song is actually an altered version of an earlier George song,
"The Girl I Used to Know"
This version however is one of those songs when I first heard it, I replayed it quite a few times.
George and Tammy worked with their Labels to finally get Legal permission to record an album together. It was recorded in two days. Along with the help of Elvis' backup band The Jordanaires. Seems everything they touch turns to gold.
This was at the peak of The Joneses' celebrity hype, being Nashville's power couple. It's evident here there was some serious passion and depth in their relationship. Be it only lasting a few years with a nasty divorce to follow.
The Possum definitely got a lucky catch here.
All that aside. It really is one song that defines the sound for me, and has Epic qualities upon every listen. Here it is "Just Someone I used to Know" 1971.

No comments:

Post a Comment